Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Could someone please point out figures of speech in Poem 520 by Emily Dickinson?

I started Early -- Took my Dog --


And visited the Sea --


The Mermaids in the Basement


Came out to look at me --





And Frigates -- in the Upper Floor


Extended Hempen Hands --


Presuming Me to be a Mouse --


Aground -- upon the Sands --





But no Man moved Me -- till the Tide


Went past my simple Shoe --


And past my Apron -- and my Belt --


And past my Bodice -- too --





And made as He would eat me up --


As wholly as a Dew


Upon a Dandelion's Sleeve --


And then -- I started -- too --





And He -- He followed -- close behind --


I felt his Silver Heel


Upon my Ankle -- Then my Shoes


Would overflow with Pearl --





Until We met the Solid Town --


No One He seemed to know --


And bowing -- with a Mighty look --


At me -- The Sea withdrew --

Could someone please point out figures of speech in Poem 520 by Emily Dickinson?
Well the whole thing is a metaphor - describing her house as the sea. I don't think you can separate each sentence to see to what she is refering because it is like a child playing - her imagination has turned everything around her into something which fits into the game.





There is one small phrase which is separate - the dew upon a dandelion's sleeve but I can't see where she is taking this analogy to.....it sort of peters out.





His silver heel, I would imagine is the sea - again, also the pearl reference (but don't quote me on that)


Don't know what Solid Town refers to - reality perhaps? or that she and the dog were going somewhere and they reached the town.



flower

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive